In this episode of The Pivotal Leader, Gina Trimarco interviewed Mark Fisher, co-founder of Mark Fisher Fitness and Business For Unicorns, in addition to being an in-demand international speaker, consultant, and entrepreneur. His core expertise is helping business owners achieve financial success and personal freedom through community building, leadership development, and creating healthy organizational cultures. He’s also excellent at playing with puppies.
Mark and his “non-sexual life partner” Michael created Business for Unicorns in 2016 and have since worked with clients like Sony Music, Sylvan Learning, and the ACLU, as well as many of the leading fitness studios across the US and UK. They are also proud alumni speakers of TEDx Broadway.
In addition to their consulting and teaching through Business for Unicorns, Mark and Michael also co-founded Mark Fisher Fitness, one of the most successful gyms in the history of the fitness industry. MFF has two physical locations in Manhattan and was recognized as #312 on the 2015 Inc. 500 fastest growing companies in America, as well as one of Men’s Health’s “Top 20 Gyms in America.”
Podcast Topics Include:
- Creating a talent pipeline
- Giving the team veto power in the hiring process
- When clients become team members
- “Interning” new employees to test fit
- Interview Questions
- Irreverent and escalation marketing strategies
- How to be successful by being authentically kind and crass at the same time
- Combining artistry and fitness to create a business that becomes a marketing vehicle for other revenue streams
- Whether or not to franchise your business
- Becoming a “conscious business” as a force for social change
- Advice for speakers and why business owners need to be speakers
- The power of unicorns, rainbows, profanity and naked men with wings
- Lots of book recommendations! See below for book list.
More About Gina Trimarco
More About Pivot10 Results
More About Mark Fisher, MFF & Business For Unicorns
Mark’s Book Suggestions:
- Steal The Show by Michael Port
- Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion by Robert Cialdini
- Principles: Live And Work by Ray Dalio
- The Advantage by Patrick Lencioni
- Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari
- The Moral Animal by Robert Wright
- Antifragile: Things That Gain From Disorder by Nassim Nicholas Taleb
With a reputation as the fitness home of choice for the Broadway community, Mark and MFF have been featured in Forbes, the NY Times, the NY Post, the Huffington Post, and the Wall St. Journal, among others. MFF has made waves in the fitness industry for its unprecedented growth, industry leading results, and unique approach to culture. Living their mantra of “ridiculous humans, serious fitness,” MFF provides progressive training and nutrition protocols in a delivery system of subversive humor, fantastical imagery, and outrageous antics. They also inexplicably talk about unicorns, call their clients Ninjas, and treat fun, community, and personal growth as core values.
During the past several years, MFF has raised over $200,000 for various charities including Broadway Cares/ Equity Fights AIDS and co-producing a concert fundraiser with the Broadway company of Wicked benefiting those affected by Hurricane Sandy. Mark is also a proud co-founder of The Uprising NYC, an innovative non-profit devoted to empowering people to embrace their inner super hero.
Mark has a BFA from Syracuse University, is a former professional actor, and has spent several years serving on the Advisory Board for NY City Center’s Off-Center. He is also a proud member of the Entrepreneur’s Organization.
The Pivotal Leader is a production of Pivot10 Results, a strategy and training company that helps businesses shift from people problems to performance results.