“Dreaming big takes the same amount of effort as dreaming small, so go big.”
– Jose R. Costa
On this episode of The Pivotal Leader, Gina Trimarco interviewed Jose R. Costa, CEO of For Eyes, which is part of GrandVision, a global leader in optical retail with more than 7,000 stores worldwide. He has a background steeped in marketing, franchising, multi-unit retailing and enhancing customer experience at some of the most recognized brands in the world.
He is the author of “Leading With Edge: Activate Your Advantage Through Personal Insight,” which features the concept of leadership as a practice, inviting readers to acknowledge the determination and grit it takes to be a good leader.
Previous to his current role as CEO, he served as Group President of Driven Brands where he led MAACO®, CARSTAR® and Drive N Style®. Collectively, these brands operate more than 1,400 body shops across North America, generate more than $1.8 billion in annual system sales and further establish Driven Brands as a leader in the automotive aftermarket space. Previously, he was President of MAACO®, where he was responsible for managing and developing 500 automotive body shops across the U.S. and Canada.
Podcast Topics Include:
- The inspiration for writing a leadership book
- Why there is high demand but low supply for strong leadership
- How to lead with edge
- The importance of the “Ask, Listen & Be Curious”
- How to become more curious and a better listener and how improv skills can help
- Theater and improv skills in business
- Employee engagement strategies
- Core (common sense) leadership fundamentals
- Jose’s “no computer” policy during meetings
- Jose’s four key meeting reasons: to explore, inform, decide or debate
- Advice for becoming a CEO and successful in business
- His experience on Undercover Boss
- Performance reviews, “spontaneous feedback” and millennials
- Training and development strategies for employees
- The value of working with the worst managers
- Creating a culture of education and continuous learning
- Advice for franchisees and franchisors
- Jose’s favorite books (and he reads a lot)
More About Gina Trimarco
- Culture Index Profile
- Personal Podcast: Women Your Mother Warned You About
More About Pivot10 Results
More About Jose R. Costa & GrandVision/For Eyes
- For Eyes Website
- GrandVision NV Website
- LEADING WITH EDGE: Activate Your Competitive Advantage Through Personal Insight
- Medill Hall of Achievement Video about Jose
During his tenure, he improved MAACO®’s procedures and training practices, raised consistency among franchises, revamped operations and enhanced the look and feel of its advertising.
Before joining Driven Brands, Costa was Vice President of Marketing, R&D and Supply Chain at BURGER KING® where he grew Latin America’s EBITDA from $50 million to $80 million in 26 months. Costa also served as President of COSTA IMC, a branding and interactive marketing firm focused on the U.S. Hispanic and Latin American segments.
Costa has over 20 years of experience both on the client and agency side, working for companies like Young & Rubicam, Bank of America, PepsiCo and YUM Brands. He also has extensive experience in restructuring portfolio companies for private equity firms like 3G Capital, Harvest Partners, Roark Capital and HAL Investments.
Costa has a postgraduate degree from Universidad Metropolitana, a Master’s degree in Integrated Marketing Communications from Northwestern University and an MBA from the Booth School of Business at the University of Chicago.
The Pivotal Leader is a production of Pivot10 Results, a strategy and training company that helps businesses shift from people problems to performance results.